Scottish legislation requires every business and non-domestic building to have and maintain fire safety equipment. This protects the physical building as well as ensuring staff, customers, and other visitors stay safe. Despite this, however, many businesses forget just how important fire safety is, especially when it comes to fire extinguishers.
In order to ensure they are compliant and meeting their legal obligations, every business should have annual fire extinguisher servicing Scotland.
Fire Safety Compliance
In order to be compliant with fire safety legislation must ensure:
- They complete regular fire risk assessments
- All fire doors are working properly and kept closed.
- All fire evacuation routes are clear from hazards and clearly marked
- Staff are all trained in fire safety
- They install the right fire safety equipment, including fire extinguishers.
Fire Extinguisher Servicing Scotland Requirements
Every business and non-domestic building must have fire extinguishers installed that reflect potential fire risks, including:
- Water extinguishers for wood, paper, and cloth fires.
- Dry powder or foam extinguishers for flammable liquid fires.
- CO2 extinguishers for electrical fires.
Every extinguisher must be BS EN3:1996 compliant. They must also receive an annual service by a qualified engineer. In addition, businesses must replace fire extinguishers every five to ten years. How often they have to replace, however, is not up to the business. Instead, it depends on the type of fire extinguisher. The engineer can let them know when to replace an extinguisher as part of the annual service.
Arranging For Fire Extinguisher Servicing Scotland
When arranging for your fire extinguishers to be serviced, choose a company such as 1st Choice Fire Protection. They offer a fully comprehensive fire safety service and are accredited by the UK Fire Association. Their engineers are fully trained and qualified to service every type of extinguisher. To find out more, contact them today.